Saturday, January 29, 2011

Barbara Nell

A few evenings ago I found my husband in the kitchen mixing up some yummy, tropical cocktails for us after the kids were in bed. Besides being completely delicious (and one itty-bitty umbrella short of perfect), it instantly reminded me of my Grandmother. Liquor and your Grandmother you ask?? Well, it was only because I noticed that in his pile of ingredients were some of those tiny cans of Dole pineapple juice. She always had those little cans of juice at her house, and to a little girl, they seemed like such a special treat ♥ ♥ It got me thinking about her....
She was a southern girl gone west, and she is my "Grandy". Oh, she is decidedly southern in many ways; she loves her food fried - fried okra, fried fish, hush puppies, and a favorite was fried dove. She likes her melon salted and her crackers buttered. The family peach cobbler recipe is my great, great, Aunt Loby's and calls for "an eggs worth of butter". We have always been her "Fweethearts", she declared many things ... as in "Well, I declare..", and she often blesses our hearts, i.e., "Well, bless your heart". When she meets someone new she becomes infinitely more southern, the ya'll-s become thicker and she, more coquettish. She never receives company without full hair, make-up, and heels (and by company, I mean anyone). See, she isn't just a woman, she is a lady.

However, that being said, she is a lady of the finest sort; the kind full of moxie and a sweet streak of tomboy thrown in. She had a favorite walnut tree she climbed well into her college years, and a mother, Annie Mae, who was a very fine hunter and fisherman fisherwoman. She was school teacher, like her mother before her, and taught both here and abroad. She is mother to five children and raised them mostly on her own. Everything she did took determination and courage. Growing up, I remember her always with a song on her lips and a twinkle in her eye; you never knew what was coming but chances are it was probably going to be fun. She taught me songs that I still remember, and that nobody else my age knows (save for my sisters of course!) and that I fully intend on passing down. She's a perfect mix of refinement, and mischief. My Mother is like her in more ways than one (just don't tell her that!) and all of them are great. They are both strong, creative, brave, playful, and love whole heartedly ... And they are both truly an inspiration to me.

...In fact, I do declare that she will make a most perfect muse for a proper, southern party someday soon! Who wants to make the mint juleps?! XO-'83

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word! I love this blog! I think the two of you have a knack for writing and if you ever co-author a novel I am finding myself a comfy couch in a sunny corner so I can enjoy every last word. Great work ladies!

    ReplyDelete