Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Three Birds

1979. 1983. 1989.  Insignificant to some? Probably… but not to me! You see these are the years that each of the three birds ‘hatched’.  No one could have guessed what these three lives would turn into.  At least I can say for sure that I would have never been able to guess, or even ask for, all the blessing and experiences I have had over the last 30 years.  Amongst the most pleasing to me is the relationship I have with my sisters.  Had you asked me when I was young and we were all growing up in the house together I would have told you we would always be sisters;  but friends – doubtful.  Sure we had fun and made some great memories but I believe it fair to also say we were also skilled warriors!  Time passed, things change, people moved, families grew and so did my heart for my sisters. Simply put, I love these chics!

You see, they inspire me.  They inspire me to be a better person. To seek adventure. To be more spontaneous. To be more giving and caring.  To be a better mother.  To be more humble.  To be more creative, try different things.  They push me to love deeper.  I say that is one of the greatest gifts; especially when I find that with each contact I love them more, differently, and deeper.  Sure sometimes I get caught in the competition trap again – if my sister can do it I should do it better.  Then I step back and realize what she is giving me is a gift; challenging me to be a better person, or, best of all, complimenting me – picking up where I leave off. 

Recently, I have thought back on a few of our latest adventures.  I giggle to myself when I reminisce as an outsider about how we all relate.  It seems trite to say but we are really like a well oiled machine. Without thought we finish each other’s sentences, say the same thing at the same time, function like an assembly line to get a task done or simply take enjoyment just basking in each others presence.  We know what simple little giggles really mean, have all the code words down, know exactly what the thingamagig she is trying to talk about is, and most of the time, even what they want to order at the restaurant! 

We now have kids that will grow up with each other and who have fantastic Aunties.  It brings me indescribable delight to think that the immeasurable legacy of our sisterhood might just continue through these little lives.  It also makes one of my biggest prayers that my children will find the same sibling bond in each other that I have been blessed with.  We have shared in so many things, good, bad, indifferent; from childhood into adulthood.  To think of all the wondrous life milestones we have shared is almost staggering.  We all think we ask too much of the other, but in reality the giver wouldn’t want it no other way; in fact I think they feel as if they haven’t given enough.   We have even endured the trying times together, and I do believe that we came out better and closer on the other side.  I have never felt alone during the hard times, in fact I find myself gravitating towards the comfort of my sisters. 

You see, the moral is, we make the perfect group.  I love the vantage point from the top of our little tree of sisterly love.  Mostly I love the warmth, comfort and joy from my fellow feathers!  So with this I resolve to love you both more this coming year and each to come.  And here’s to making more memories.  I so look forward to the roots the tree we perch atop to grow deeper and stronger.  I love you so…

3 comments:

  1. Well done! I was so excited to see your very first post. The three of you are very lucky to have one another. Enjoy the adventure my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very Inspiring!! I Consider myself to be lucky enough to have seen all three of you in a bathing suit!! Especially 1989!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Such a blessing to know you girls.

    ReplyDelete