Friday, January 28, 2011

Cat's Meow

Suffice it to say that fashion has never been my forte! So my fellow birds of the feather have to help me flock towards anything fashionable…

I admit that whenever I try to pick out any type of clothes or shoes, I have to pass it through my (learned the hard way) test; Would this likely be seen on any reasonable person over age 65? Sadly, more often than not the answer is yes. Great news – I now know that means back to the rack it goes! You see, the rest of our breed has fashion down. Sure it helps that one lives in California and the other is still part of the in-crowd, or at least this is what I tell myself. Truth is I think the fashion jean just skipped me and they each got an extra ½ dose. Don’t despair; they also got a fair dash of generosity and sense of obligation towards their kin. Not only have they shared their expertise but also their leftover clothes. Their hand-me-downs are probably a season behind for them but light years ahead for me. They also have a knack for organizing and purging a closet to boot! While doing a clothes inventory recently I discovered my closet is not so void of vogue these days. The sisterly help in purging my closet, equal to donations to my fashion fund has left me with almost entirely with a bequeathed boutique; hence fashion heaven for me!

Don’t forget the gifts... I am now hooked on fancy pants! Yes these are the ones that are not Levi or Wrangler brand and cost over $25.00. But boy can they start the day off right!! Add a great pair of shoes (oh how I love) and a donated top – viola. I love the feeling of leaving the house in a good outfit. Many a time I have received compliments on an outfit and had to confess that, out of the whole get-up, the only self purchased item was the undergarments!

So now I share with you a few tidbits learned along the way: Navy and black can be worn with jeans; shirts should go past your waist but your pants should not go above your belly button; flip flops and high heels are appropriate footwear for jeans; belts can be worn so high that it double as bosom support (ok, almost); its posh to spend an inordinate amount of money for new jeans that they have already worn out and ripped for you; and my favorite so far – jeans have whiskers and, properly placed, can enhance your figure. So thanks to advice from my fashionable feathers and picture message double checks they just might turn me into the Cat’s Meow yet! ~'79

No comments:

Post a Comment